• 1 onion
• 1 red pepper
• 2 celery stalks
• 1 tsp (5 mL) vegetable oil
• 1 lb (500 g) ground chicken or beef
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cumin
• 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot chili flakes (optional)
• 1 cup (250 mL) canned black beans , drained (optional)
• 2/3 cup (150 mL) chunky salsa
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped cilantro
• Iceberg or Boston lettuce or mesclun greens
• Light sour cream or yogourt (optional)
Coarsely chop onion and pepper. Thinly slice celery. Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan set over medium heat. Add onion and 2 tbsp (30 mL) water. Stir often until soft, 2 to 3 min. Crumble in chicken. Sprinkle with seasonings. Stir often, breaking up chicken with a fork until it loses its pink colour, 3 to 5 min.
Add pepper, celery, beans and salsa. Stir until vegetables have softened slightly, 2 to 4 min. Stir in cilantro. Taste and add salt if needed. Scoop into large lettuce leaves and wrap, or serve on a bed of greens. Top with sour cream.