- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tbsp. ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 pitted date, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 lg. yellow onion, chopped
- 2 small carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 cups small cauliflower florets
- 1 1/2 cups cooked kidney beans (or one 15.5 ounce canned beans, rinsed and drained)
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 sm. green or red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (salt is optional)
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- In a blender or food processor, combine the garlic, ginger, date, coriander and other spices, vinegar, and 1/2 cup water; process until smooth and set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick pot or wok over medium-high heat. Add the onions and carrots and one tablespoon of water, cover, and cook until softened, stirring often and adding more water as necessary to prevent burning–about 5 minutes.
- Add the spice paste from the blender and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the cauliflower and kidney beans. Cover and turn heat to low.
- Put the tomato paste and 1 1/4 cup water in the blender and blend thoroughly. Add the tomato paste mixture to the vegetables, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and bell pepper, season with pepper and salt (if using), and continue cooking, covered, until the vegetables are tender, but not mushy, about 5 -10 minutes.
- Add the peas and allow to heat through for a couple of minutes. Serve alone or over basmati rice or other grain.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s) | Cooking time: 35 minute(s)