Sunday, March 15, 2015

ROASTED BALSAMIC VEGETABLES

Time for simple.  5 ingredients packing a punch. 
Ready for………ROASTED BALSAMIC VEGETABLES…..  I watched Jamie Oliver (on his TV prog. At Home).. get very excitable about this dish so I thought, ‘that’s one for the to try list’.  I tweaked it a bit, as he used white potatoes.  I didn’t have any as I rarely eat them, so I improvised with butternut squash (I’ve also since used sweet potato and ’twas tasty as tasty is).
To serve 4 as a side dish or two as a main, you will need;
1  butternut squash (or 1kg of waxy potatoes)
3 large beetroots (fresh, not pre-cooked)
2 large onions
6 cloves of garlic
1/4 bottle of balsamic vinegar (Jamie is a bit of a lad, he used 1/2 a bottle…I couldn’t bring myself to go there!)
2 springs of fresh rosemary
salt & pepper –  
 
  • Roughly chop the whole caboodle (leave garlic cloves whole).  Chuck ‘em in a roasting pan (did you like the J Oliver impression?!) and  let the balsamic glug liberally all on the naked veggies…wild!…then… zig zag over a good splash of extra virgin olive oil.  Go crazy with the salt and black pepper mills.  Bake for approx 40-50 mins.  The veggies will look slightly blackened – it’s the balsamic (just don’t let the veggies burn..)  You are seriously going to enjoy…sweet, chewy, slightly crisped on the edges, sharp, garlicky and with the subtle fragrance of rosemary.
Serve as a side dish or as a simple main (I served with sauteed kale and fresh cherry tomatoes and it was lovely)

No comments:

Post a Comment