A bamboo sushi mat (found in Asian markets and cookware stores) or plastic wrap can be used to make these rolls.
Serves 10 (makes about 30 pieces)
• Ginger-Soy Dipping Sauce
• 1/4 cup mirin
• 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
• 3 1/2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
• 1 tsp. dark sesame oil
• 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
• 1/2 tsp. chili oil
• Sushi Rolls
• 1 1/2 lb. asparagus spears, trimmed
• 4 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
• 1 1/2 Tbs. sugar
• 1 1/2 tsp. salt
• 4 cups cooked short grain rice
• 6 to 8 nori sheets (toasted seaweed)
• 3 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
• 6 oz. smoked or baked teriyaki tofu, cut into 1?4-inch-thick strips
• 2 carrots, shredded (about 1 cup)
1. To make Ginger-Soy Dipping Sauce: Combine all ingredients in small bowl.
2. Cook asparagus in pot of boiling salted water 3 minutes. Drain.
3. Stir together vinegar, sugar and salt in bowl. Add to rice, and mix well.
4. To assemble Sushi Rolls: Place one nori sheet shiny side down on bamboo mat or sheet of plastic wrap. Spread with 1/2 cup rice, leaving 1/2 inch border along edges. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. sesame seeds. Place 2 asparagus just below center, top with tofu and 2 Tbs. carrots. Pull border of nori over rice, using mat as aid, and roll into tight cylinder. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Chill up to 3 hours. Slice rolls into 6 to 7 pieces with sharp knife. Serve with Ginger-Soy Dipping Sauce.
Per ROLL: Calories: 77, Protein: 3g, Total fat: 1g, Saturated fat: g, Carbs: 12g, Cholesterol: mg, Sodium: 219mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 1g