Tuesday, September 13, 2011

BEST PIZZA DOUGH AND SAUCE

It's all in the sauce!!!

I love the salsa at Jazmin's they use a roasted tomato base..so from that inspiration I decided to try roasting tomatoes..this is the result.  They are delicious, just for a side dish..or any place you will use a tomato.  They just add such flavour.

Roma tomatoes, cut off end and quarter them
Many peeled garlic cloves
Toss with a bit of olive oil
Sprinkle with a small amount of Sea Salt

Put in roasting pans, the tomatoes should be in a single layer  ( I make it worth my while to have the oven on and do a few pans)

-oven 250 degrees...for around 5 hours..I stir them ever so often, and after about 3 hours I pour off the excess liquid..oil and juice from the tomatoes..save it you can use it for cooking

-I also peel..all kinds of garlic cloves and just mix them in with the tomatoes..I don't like them to cook to mush..so either take them out after about 3 hours..or put them in after the tomatoes cook for a while. 

- continue cooking until the tomatoes start to carmelize ...I sometimes turn up the heat at the end..and then keep my eye on them..just to carmelize them up a bit.

They taste so tangy and full of flavour.

Store in a container in the fridge.or freeze.


PIZZA SAUCE...In a food chopper or blender

you have to use your own judgement as to how many tomatoes and roasted garlic cloves to use depending on how much sauce you want

roasted tomatoes
roasted garlic
fresh basil leaves
1 jalepeno pepper ( I remove the seeds)
it is a bit thick at this point, so I threw in one fresh tomato just to liquify it a bit
Spread on the pizza dough, it is a nice spreadable consistency and add whatever toppings you like to the pizza.  Our favorite is salami pepperoni and pineapple.  Found some chorizo that is very similar to the pepperoni we use at home.  All in all..we both gave it a 10.

PIZZA DOUGH
 I have tried many pizza dough recipes and this one proves to be the best


2 cups tepid water
2 tbsp sugar
½ cup oil
5 ½ cups flour
1 tbsp yeast

Combine in bread maker in the above order, and set to dough cycle.  Or use the old knead by hand method.

When mixed cut dough in half. Makes 2 – 12 inch pizzas

NOTES: I like my pizza crust thin, so this recipe makes about 3 - 12 inch for me..

                I used whole wheat flour and we still loved it

To store dough, freeze or refrigerate. Place dough in Ziploc bags and add a bit of oil to keep moist and pliable. In fridge if they threaten to break out of their bags simply mold back into balls.
 
Freezer: just take out in the morning, when thawed prepare pizza you can put it in fridge for later baking.
 
Oil your pizza pans lightly
Cook pizza on lower rack at 500 degrees for 15 minutes,  Check the bottom if lightly browned..they are ready..

No comments:

Post a Comment